Man storms Buckingham Palace with knife, injures police

Man storms Buckingham Palace with knife, injures police

Counter-terrorism police in the United Kingdom are questioning on Saturday the radical Islamic terrorist who assaulted police officers with a four-foot sword the evening of Friday, Aug. 25 outside Queen Elizabeth's Buckingham Palace residence. But he injured three officers, two of whom were hospitalized with light injuries, as was the attacker.

Witnesses said the man appeared to be "fighting back" against police while they wrestled him from his vehicle to arrest him, and both officers have suffered minor injuries from the incident.

Detectives from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are investigating after the men were injured during a terrorist incident on the Mall last night.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan thanked the police officers and said: "Terrorists who seek to harm us and destroy our way of life will never succeed".

Eyewitnesses described seeing police rush towards the palace, as well as spotting injured officers.

No members of the royal family were present in the palace, which is a magnet for tourists in Britain's capital during the peak August holiday.

'The man had been restrained and looked nearly unconscious by the side of the road.

More news: Inside Trump's (Current) Beef With The GOP

Previous year a man convicted of murder climbed a wall and was detained on the palace grounds while the queen was at home.

The suspect had driven towards a marked police auto in a restricted area near the palace shortly before brandishing the weapon. Two were treated at a hospital for cuts. He will now be questioned by detectives in police custody.

"At approximately 20:35hrs a man stopped his auto in a restricted area near a police vehicle on the Mall roundabout near Spur Road, SW1A. There are no other reported injuries", the Met Police said.

There is no suggestion at this time it was a suspect terror attack.

The terrorist threat in the United Kingdom remains high, following three major attacks in London and Manchester recently.

Meanwhile, a 30-year-old Belgian of Somali origin died after running at soldiers on patrol with a knife in an attack near Brussel's central pedestrian zone. He then ran into the grounds of the Parliament, where he fatally stabbed an unarmed police officer.

A concert by pop star Ariana Grande in Manchester was attacked by a suicide bomber who detonated a shrapnel-laden homemade bomb at the entrance to the concert, leaving 23 dead.

Related Articles