Rescue efforts end after deadly Iran quake

Rescue efforts end after deadly Iran quake

To oversee relief and rescue efforts, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday reached the province, where the victims had been complaining about lack of food, water and tents.

A magnitude 7.3 natural disaster hit western part of Iran along the border with Iraq on Sunday Nov.12, 2017 at 21:48 pm local time, killing at least 328 people and injuring more than 3950 up to now. "I want to assure those who are suffering that the government has begun to act with all means at its disposal and is scrambling to resolve this problem as quickly as possible", he said.

"Newly constructed buildings... held up well, but the old houses built with earth were totally destroyed", he told state television.

More than 500 villages in the region suffered damage.

In Iraq, the most extensive damage was seen in the town of Darbandikhan, which is in the Kurdish region, where more than 30 people were injured.

Tents, some provided by the Red Crescent, dotted green spaces turned into camps for the displaced.

To show solidarity with the Kurdish-majority province hit by the quake, a state newspaper printed a headline in Kurdish, which read "Iran cries with Kermanshah".

"The rescue operations in Kermanshah province have ended", Pir-Hossein Kolivand, head of Iran's Emergency Medical Services, said on state TV.

But more aid was still needed.

Its governor told state TV: 'There are still people under the rubble.

More news: The Top 5 Heading Into The Weekend

Mr Gulani said he understood aid had been despatched within the province, but that people in his town had not yet received help.

Iran's Red Crescent Society officials announced on Monday evening that the rescue operations in Kermanshah will be completed in a few hours.

Iraqi health authorities said they treated dozens of people in the aftermath, mostly for shock.

Rouhani said in Sarpol-e-Zahab that the government would look into what went wrong at the Mehr homes, some of which his administration handed over.

At least 280 people were killed in the town, home to some 85,000 people, where crumpled vehicles lay under the rubble of flattened buildings on the streets.

About 30 Red Crescent teams are working in the quake zone, Irna reported.

Search and rescue operations are nearly complete while relief operations could take months, Mansoureh Bagheri, director of worldwide operations at the Iranian Red Crescent, told CNN on Tuesday. Officials said 12,000 houses had been completely destroyed and a further 15,000 damaged, Irna reported.

Sunday's quake struck along a 1,500-km fault line between the Arabian and Eurasian tectonic plates, which extends through western Iran and northeastern Iraq.

In 1990, a 7.4-magnitude quake in northern Iran killed 40,000 people, injured 300,000 and left half a million homeless, reducing dozens of towns and almost 2,000 villages to rubble. In 2003, a magnitude 6.6 natural disaster flattened the historic city of Bam, killing 26,000 people.

Related Articles