Police investigate if video game prank led to shooting death in Wichita

Police investigate if video game prank led to shooting death in Wichita

The 28-year-old man, whom officials did not immediately identify, was killed around 6:20 p.m. Thursday after police responded to a report that there had been a shooting and hostages taken at the house, Deputy Wichita Police Chief Troy Livingston said at a Friday, Dec. 29, news conference.

Wichita police have said they believe the 911 call which led to the shooting was a case of "swatting" - where hoaxers deliberately make up a false report to get a SWAT team or other police officers to raid an address. "According to The Wichita Eagle, Andrew Finch answered the door of his residence when local police "[getting] into position" called upon the home's occupants to come out.

Tyler Barriss, 25, was arrested Friday on suspicion of making a hoax phone call to police in Wichita, Kansas.

Officer Paul Cruz, a spokesman for the Wichita police, said the two city police departments are working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation on the case, but provided no further details including on possible charges or extradition.

Wichita police received a 911 call that that a father had been shot in the head and the shooter was holding his mother, brother and sister hostage. The caller, speaking with relative calm, said he poured gasoline inside the home "and I might just set it on fire".

Officers arrived at the 1000 block of McCormick, where they were fully prepared for the hostage situation.

Lisa Finch told the newspaper that her son was murdered by police.

But Chief Livingston said the man moved a hand toward his waistband - a common place where guns are concealed.

More news: Italian Brothers Beat Apple in Court, Allowed to Name Company 'Steve Jobs'

Livingston defended the officer, saying the cop genuinely feared the victim was reaching for a gun. Finch died a few minutes later at a hospital. Livingston said Finch was unarmed.

The officer who fired the deadly shot has been placed on administrative paid leave. You can watch the released body camera footage and determine things for yourself, but be warned that it contains graphic content. It was hard to see clearly what happened.

An account of the story written by @_Curvey, which is being retweeted by other gamers, says that two Call of Duty players had a game with a wager of less than $2.

Finch was not involved in the game. Finch's mother said her son was not a gamer.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department records show he is being held without bond.

The FBI estimates that roughly 400 cases of swatting occur annually, with some using caller ID spoofing to disguise their number. The police and FBI were investigating whether the hoax call stemmed from an argument over an online game.

The two CoD players reportedly got into an argument over a small money loss on UMG's wager platform online (view match) and threatened to swat each other, with one of the players sending the other incorrect details of an address nearby to a known swatter, who was reportedly responsible for the CWL Dallas bomb hoax evacuations.

Balsamo reported from Los Angeles.

Related Articles